Major Garage Sale Find

fischertechnik in General
Forumsregeln
Bitte beachte die Forumsregeln!
Antworten
korebreach

Major Garage Sale Find

Beitrag von korebreach » 02 Nov 2019, 17:18

My father came across a very large amount of FT in a garage sale, and paid $5 USD for it! The 7 big boxes of pieces were taking up too much space in his garage, so he was going to put it into his own sale for $30 USD. Since I had some FT when I was young, I told him that it was worth at least a couple thousand dollars, but he didn't care. Because I wanted it so bad to "re-live my childhood", I convinced him to sell it to me for the $30 he was going to ask for it. However, I also knew that it was going to take about $350 USD to ship it to me. I gladly paid so much for shipping since this stuff was valuable. It took me 3 weeks just to sort it all!

(The large bags in the back are mostly gallon-sized bags of FT track links (black) and chain links (red)). There's also a tower of 20 large base-plates. From what I could gather from some writing on cardboard inserts, this collection was from a college lab.

So, here it is. Miracles do happen. You never know what you will find in a garage sale for $5 (about 3.86 GBP):

Bild

PHabermehl

Re: Major Garage Sale Find

Beitrag von PHabermehl » 02 Nov 2019, 18:41

That's a steal, at least from the seller's point of view. Für you it's pretty fair, considering the shipping cost.

Enjoy your new hobbie.

Kind regards
Peter
https://www.MINTronics.de -- der ftDuino & TX-Pi Shop!

viele Grüße
Peter

EstherM

Beitrag von EstherM » 07 Nov 2019, 10:50

Hi,
this is impressive! Are there any controllers or other electronics included?
What do you plan to build?
Please keep us informed. You are kindly invited to ask any questions on parts, model ideas etc.
Best regards
Esther

German abstract:
"Beeindruckend. Was willst Du damit machen? Melde dich, wenn Du Fragen hast."

korebreach

Beitrag von korebreach » 21 Nov 2019, 17:38

Thanks for the welcome to the community. 40 years ago, when I was in primary school, My father had two small FT kits (never used) that he wouldn't let me play with. A couple of years later, I convinced him to let me have them. Over the next 5 years, I added a few small kits wherever I could find them (and when I could successfully beg the money from my parents :D ). They've always been VERY expensive in the USA. I was very involved (for a child) with my FT. When I grew up, my parents donated the FT to a family friend.

A few months ago, I was telling this story to my wife. So, it was a huge coincidence that I got a call from my father saying that he found such a big amount of FT being almost given away. He didn't know I was so fond of it when I was a child. He just bought it thinking that he might do something with it. When that didn't happen, he was just going to sell it at another garage sale. I said, Noooooooo!

Now that I have it and have sorted and cataloged everything, I've had to come up with a way to store it all. I've now built a work table and purchased several of those "little piece cabinets" like you often use for small nuts and bolts. I'm now working on labels for all of the little drawers. I'll attach a picture when it's all done. Unfortunately, there were no controllers or electronics, other than electromagnets, plugs, wire, reed switches, and non-FT variable resistors. No TXT controller (which I was hoping for). There was also a lot of FT pneumatic stuff, but no compressor or motors. Because of this, I purchased some FT motors on eBay, as well as a "Pneumatics 3" FT kit, primarily to get the FT compressor.

Eventually I'll get a TXT controller and/or an FTduino. I'll need some recommendations, which I'll ask for in another post. I used to be an electronics engineer in the US Navy, and am now in Information Technology for IBM, so I do have an interest in the electronics. I also have an extensive "smart home" that I built on Samsung's SmartThings platform. I also have a Prusa 3D printer, and have made a couple of models for the community (related to using a tablet PC as a smart-home control center). (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3464072)

Having FT as a hobby is pretty difficult in the USA. Nearly all resources are not in English, which is the only thing I know. Fortunately, there's Google Translate! There aren't any local user groups, and almost nobody has even heard of FischerTechnik (except at a few schools and labs). The prices make it difficult as well.

However... I do have one piece that I cannot identify. Can anyone help me? It's the exact size of one standard FT cube, but only half as high. I don't even know for sure if it is an FT piece, and I have only one of them. Only two of the holes shown go all the way through the piece, and those holes are the exact size as a standard FT electrical plug. My guess is that it is some kind of sensor or buzzer, but I haven't been able to match it up to anything in the FT DataBank. Can you help? Here are pictures of both sides.

Bild

Lars

Beitrag von Lars » 21 Nov 2019, 22:12

Hallo korebreach,
korebreach hat geschrieben:
21 Nov 2019, 17:38
Eventually I'll get a TXT controller and/or an FTduino. I'll need some recommendations, which I'll ask for in another post.
ftDuino: https://harbaum.github.io/ftduino/www/en/ by its developer.
TXT: https://www.fischertechnik.de/en/produc ... controller basic info by its manufacturer.
How to run the TXT with the community firmware (cfw): https://cfw.ftcommunity.de/ftcommunity-TXT/en/
Having FT as a hobby is pretty difficult in the USA. Nearly all resources are not in English, which is the only thing I know. Fortunately, there's Google Translate! There aren't any local user groups, and almost nobody has even heard of FischerTechnik (except at a few schools and labs). The prices make it difficult as well.
You might get into contact with the "FFM" (http://www.fischerfriendsman.de/ in german), his webshop maintains an extensive and low priced offer for most ft-parts which have ever been offered and a lot of rare and special parts as well. You can use it as an overview of existing ft-parts.
However... I do have one piece that I cannot identify. Can anyone help me?[...]

Bild
This isn't a ft-part.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Lars

vleeuwen

Beitrag von vleeuwen » 21 Nov 2019, 23:06

In the past Studica education was a point of sale in the USA and Canada.
There is also a side for the STEM projects
A couple of years ago fischertechnik was very actif in the USA and Canada. It was even used in the Canadian Skills competition.

The fischertechnik GitHub site is also using English.
Here you will find software and information about the TXT and online or offline programming.

Reivilo has a web site concerning fischertechnik in English

I am also busy with redesigning my web site about fischertechnik.

The new TXT fischertechnik firmware (4.6.6, 4.70) is covering a web server (Civetweb), MQTT, extending RoboPro with additional modules (SLI), programming in C/C++, Python, LUA (part of Civetweb), and also .NET programming for online use.

Detailed questions about the TXT and programming for the TXT , are welcome.

EstherM

Beitrag von EstherM » 22 Nov 2019, 18:00

Kurze Zusammenfassung auf Deutsch/ short summary in German:
Der Vater von korebreach hat bei einem Hofflohmarkt für 5 US$ einen Konvolut von ft gekauft. Diesen hat der Vater dann für 30 US$ an ihn weiterverkauft. korebreach hatte in seiner Kindheit etwas ft. Dieses ist in den USA schwer zu erhalten und sehr teuer.
Das Konvolut enthält keine Elektronik außer Elektromagneten, Steckern, Kabel, Reed-Schaltern und nicht-ft Widerständen, und leider keinen TXT. Es gibt auch eine Menge Pneumatik, aber keinen Kompressor oder Motoren.
korebreach wird in einem anderen Thread nach einer Empfehlung für einen Kontroller fragen, weil ihn das Thema interessiert.
Lars klärt ihn auf, dass das eine Teil (s. Foto) kein ft-Teil ist. vleeuwen nennt diverse Ressourcen auf Englisch.

Gruß
Esther

korebreach

Beitrag von korebreach » 22 Nov 2019, 21:47

Thank you to everyone who supplied links, part identification, etc. I'm impressed by the community of FischerTechnik enthusiasts. You are a great bunch of people who have helped me feel welcome and supported.

Vielen Dank an alle, die Links, Teilekennzeichnung usw. geliefert haben. Ich bin beeindruckt von der Community der FischerTechnik-Enthusiasten. Sie sind eine großartige Gruppe von Menschen, die mir geholfen haben, mich willkommen und unterstützt zu fühlen.

The Rob

Beitrag von The Rob » 22 Nov 2019, 23:24

Welcome to the community, always happy to have international guests.
In addition to the tips you already got, I want to specifically point out fischerfriendsman's service to ship various goods in a combined package.
fischerfriendsman.de hat geschrieben:If you are interestetd in any items in german shops they don´t ship in foreign countrys (or shipment is too expensive) - please ask me. I often can deliver with cheaper shipment and in non EU states with substracted Vat :)
I have a nephew in China, I know how it feels to regularly pay intercontinental shipping.

korebreach

Beitrag von korebreach » 25 Nov 2019, 22:33

I've finally finished my FT workstation. Here are a few pictures.

Here is a picture of the desk I built. I started with some old wooden shelving units I already had, added a plywood top and edging, stained everything, and coated with polyurethane. It also gives me storage for 3D printing filament and miscellaneous electronic/computer parts.
Bild

Here is a close-up of the FT cabinets.
Bild

I made sure that there was at least one of each FT part in the drawers (except for the base plates and Fuel Cell, which wouldn't fit). For many parts, however, I had more than what would fit in the drawer. So, I made a couple of "overflow bins" out of (of course) FischerTechnik.
Bild

Now it's time to start some building!

Burkhard

Beitrag von Burkhard » 09 Dez 2019, 17:14

(Deutsche Übersetzung unten)

Very glad to see another excited user in the USA! If you ever find yourself short on space, please send me an email :-)

Studica is still the official USA distributor.

I have myself bought from „fischerfriendsman“ Stefan many times and he is great. There is a (smaller) USA used parts dealer named Bob who sells off eBay as arduino_gearbox2012. He is very friends and helpful and has much more than is listed at any one time.

Until fairly recently, one could often purchase small items off the German eBay.de and have shipped cheaply as Großbriefe (3.70€) or Maxibriefe (7€) . I don't think that is possible anymore as DeutschePost is restricting these mail classes to true *letters* only. Even with this change, a small package (Päckchen) is not terrible, something like 16€ for up to 2 kg.

burkhard in NY

======

Ich freue mich sehr, einen weiteren begeisterten User in den USA zu sehen! Wenn Sie jemals zu wenig Platz haben, senden Sie mir bitte eine E-Mail :-)

Studica ist weiterhin offizieller Distributor in den USA.

Ich habe mich viele Male bei „fischerfriendsman“ Stefan gekauft und er ist großartig. Es gibt auch einen (kleineren) USA-Gebrauchtteilehändler namens Bob, der eBay als arduino_gearbox2012 verkauft. Er ist sehr freundlich und hilfsbereit und hat viel mehr zu bieten, als jemals aufgeführt wurde.

Bis vor kurzem konnte man bei eBay.de oft kleine Artikel kaufen und günstig als Großbriefe (3,70 €) oder Maxibriefe (7 €) versenden. Ich denke nicht, dass das mehr möglich ist, da die Deutsche Post diese Mail-Klassen auf echte * Papierbriefe * beschränkt. Auch bei dieser Umstellung ist ein Päckchen nicht schrecklich, so etwas wie 16 € für bis zu 2 kg.

burkhard in New York

Antworten