New cfw via online upgrade: WLAN list not shown

Community-Firmware (cfw), Selbstbaucontroller (TX-Pi, ftduino, usw.), usw.
Forumsregeln
Bitte beachte die Forumsregeln!
hvn

New cfw via online upgrade: WLAN list not shown

Beitrag von hvn » 02 Aug 2017, 10:46

Hi,

I've successfully upgraded the cfw to 0.9.3 via the online method but now the WLAN list doesn't show. Pressing the bar doesn't help. The Encryption and Key work fine, the Network data was preserved. I've tried to ssh to the controller, but I get the message No route to host. Any solution?

hvn

ski7777

Re: New cfw via online upgrade: WLAN list not shown

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 10:52

What is shown if you press on the WLAN icon in the Category System? Normally you should be able to select your WiFi network.

Raphael

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 02 Aug 2017, 11:01

Ok, from top down: after boot I get a System icon. After pressing it, I get several icons, such as Network and WLAN. When I press WLAN, I get on top of screen 'WLAN', under that an empty bar/button. Pressing it doesn't do anything. Under that 'Encryption', button showing "OPEN', pressing it I can select 'WPA2'. Under that "Key'. Pressing it I get a keyboard and I can enter my key.

ski7777

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 11:43

Can you check, whether WLAN is working with the default firmware?

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 02 Aug 2017, 11:56

On the default (ROBOPro) firmware, the WLAN is working. The DHCP server connects fine on 192.168.8.2.
Note: on the cfw, I use my own 10.0.0.x IP, so no DHCP on the TXT controller.

ski7777

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 11:58

Then you should backup your sdcard (if needed) and wipe all data. Then format it as FAT32, copy the files and try again. Normally WLAN is one of the most stables features.

Raphael

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 02 Aug 2017, 12:00

So actually, I should do a new cfw install.

ski7777

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 12:01

Actually yes

MasterOfGizmo

Beitrag von MasterOfGizmo » 02 Aug 2017, 14:11

Wait. The Drop-Down-List of WLANs is just empty? I sometimes see the same. I need to check that one day. For me closing and re-opening the WLAN app always makes the whole list appear.

This should definitely be fixed one day. But not by me. The CFW is now "good enough" for me.
Arduino für fischertechnik: ftDuino http://ftduino.de, ftDuino32 http://ftduino.de/32

ski7777

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 14:21

MasterOfGizmo hat geschrieben:This should definitely be fixed one day. But not by me. The CFW is now "good enough" for me.
Was soll das heißen? Du bist raus?

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 02 Aug 2017, 20:39

For me it went from bad to worse.

I followed the instructions and formatted the uSD card into FAT32, then copied the 3 files onto the card. Next: insert the card into the TXT and it boots into the default firmware, NOT the cfw. ?!!
BTW, what MasterOfGizmo tells, that didn't work for me. I've tried that over 10 times without luck.

ski7777

Beitrag von ski7777 » 02 Aug 2017, 21:24

Maybe you need to use FAT16

richard.kunze
Administrator

Beitrag von richard.kunze » 02 Aug 2017, 22:33

hvn hat geschrieben: I followed the instructions and formatted the uSD card into FAT32, then copied the 3 files onto the card. Next: insert the card into the TXT and it boots into the default firmware, NOT the cfw. ?!!
This looks like the boot loader could not read the uImage file from the µSD-Card. Possible reasons:
  • the SD card is not formatted as FAT32, but as exFAT (this is more likely if the SD card is bigger than 32GB - in this case, exFAT is the default file system type, and your formatting utility may have automatically chosen exFAT )
  • the SD card is formatted as "whole disk" (i.e. the SD card is not partitioned, but only contains the FAT32 file system - kind of like floppy disks where formatted way back when). The TXT boot loader cannot read this layout, although most PCs can. In this case, re-partition the SD card so that it contains one big partition using all available space, and put the FAT32 file system on this partition.
  • the SD card (or at least the uImage file) is defective. As a simple test, try to copy the files from SD card to your PC if this fails, then the SD card is broken (unfortunately, if it works it may still be broken, or at least not redably by the TXTs card reader).
  • the SD card isn't inserted correctly in the TXT slot. Sounds stupid I know, but I actually managed once to put a the SD card between the card slot and the casing..
Hope this helps,

Richard

MasterOfGizmo

Beitrag von MasterOfGizmo » 03 Aug 2017, 09:55

hvn hat geschrieben: BTW, what MasterOfGizmo tells, that didn't work for me. I've tried that over 10 times without luck.
So someone needs to check that. I doubt that re-installing everything will change anything. The wpa_cli tool sometimes returns an empty list of WLANs.
Arduino für fischertechnik: ftDuino http://ftduino.de, ftDuino32 http://ftduino.de/32

funmca

Beitrag von funmca » 03 Aug 2017, 10:04

As I had the same Problem, here is my solution:

-First on Windows: Format the SD Card as one Partition in FAT32 by using (very important I think) a SD Card Formatter Tool, not the Windows native formatting engine.
-The three files then must be copied to the sd Card
-Once inserted to TXT, the CFW boots and creates a second Partition on its own for the data being used apart from the boot sector
-Alwas shut down TXT correctly, do not just cut the power
-if you should enter the sd card back again in your pc you will see two new drives, the boot drive and the data drive, the three files must stay in the boot drive.

Cheers Marco
;-)

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 03 Aug 2017, 21:15

I tried the following: use dd to make an image of the working uSD card from my other TXT controller. Then copy (dd) the image onto the target uSD card. Both cards are 8GB and worked perfectly. During the dd action, I surprisingly get the the message 'no space left on device". Taking out the card, it equally surprisingly boots fine on the TXT controller. Powerdown, putting the card back into the cardreader, which mounts and shows it perfectly. Then I copy the 3 files mentioned files onto the card and boot: during "initializing SD card" I get a big red exclamation sign.
Any ideas?

richard.kunze
Administrator

Beitrag von richard.kunze » 04 Aug 2017, 12:57

hvn hat geschrieben:I tried the following: use dd to make an image of the working uSD card from my other TXT controller. Then copy (dd) the image onto the target uSD card. Both cards are 8GB and worked perfectly. During the dd action, I surprisingly get the the message 'no space left on device". Taking out the card, it equally surprisingly boots fine on the TXT controller. Powerdown, putting the card back into the cardreader, which mounts and shows it perfectly. Then I copy the 3 files mentioned files onto the card and boot: during "initializing SD card" I get a big red exclamation sign.
Looks like some parts of the SD card are defective and can't be written to, most probably somewhere after the first couple of hunderd MB on the card: Both dd'ing a full-sized image onto the card as well as the automatic repartitioning of the SD card on the first start of CFW version 0.9.3 (see https://github.com/ftCommunity/ftcommun ... 951620b0fd and https://github.com/ftCommunity/ftcommun ... 71379034fe for the technical details) write to most parts of the SD-card (and therefore fail, in the case of dd after successfully writing the data actually used by the old install to the start of the SD card), whereas mounting the card on a PC and writing/reading the relatively small files from the CFW distribution only accesses the first 200 MB (or thereabouts) of the SD card (and therefore work OK).

To verify this, run the card through a badblocks check utility, or reformat it with a formatting utility that allows checking for bad blocks (if you use Linux on your PC: 'mkfs.vfat' supports a bad block check via the '-c' option).

MasterOfGizmo

Beitrag von MasterOfGizmo » 04 Aug 2017, 13:20

richard.kunze hat geschrieben: Looks like some parts of the SD card are defective and can't be written to
The problem may be much more trivial. Just because both cards are 8GB doesn't mean they are _exactly_ the same size. And if the new one is only a few sectors smaller than the old one then simple dd'ing from the old to the new one will fail. And since afterwards the partition table will also not match the exact size of the new card the resizing/repartitioning also fails.

I am not a windows user. Maybe one of you windows guys can suggest a fool proof way to setup the desired fat32 format. One common trick actually seems to use a digital camera to format the card.

Edit: It seems GoPro users also need fat32. This is how they are told to do it:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutio ... s-Computer

hvn

Beitrag von hvn » 06 Sep 2017, 11:16

I had time to look at it again and the card still won't work properly. So it's time to replace it, which raises the question what the maximum capacity uSD card is the controller can handle (if there is a maximum).

hvn

According to https://github.com/ftCommunity/ftcommun ... croSD-card, 32 GB is the maximum. I assume that's still correct..

Edit: I managed to get the new ftc version running on the 32 GB card, fresh installed. Then managed to copy mu own code on it, started it using python and got this:

$ python Mirft2.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Mirft2.py", line 8, in <module>
txt = ftrobopy.ftrobopy('10.0.0.134', 65000)
File "/wheel/SSDSpace/devel/ftcommunity-TXT-0.9.3/output/target/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/ftrobopy.py", line 2110, in __init__
File "/wheel/SSDSpace/devel/ftcommunity-TXT-0.9.3/output/target/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/ftrobopy.py", line 192, in __init__
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused

Also, I find that everything is Python 3.x now instead of both Python 2.7 and 3. Does that have anything to do with the error?

Thanks...

Torsten

Beitrag von Torsten » 06 Sep 2017, 23:38

Hi Huub,
hvn hat geschrieben: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Mirft2.py", line 8, in <module>
txt = ftrobopy.ftrobopy('10.0.0.134', 65000)
File "/wheel/SSDSpace/devel/ftcommunity-TXT-0.9.3/output/target/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/ftrobopy.py", line 2110, in __init__
File "/wheel/SSDSpace/devel/ftcommunity-TXT-0.9.3/output/target/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/ftrobopy.py", line 192, in __init__
ConnectionRefusedError: [Errno 111] Connection refused
by default the the cfw does not start the original fischertechnik tcp socket interface. This means that you have to use the 'direct'-mode. I would recommend to use the auto-detect mode (instead of manually specifying ip and port numbers):

Code: Alles auswählen

txt = ftrobopy.ftrobopy('auto')
Torsten

Antworten