Competition Ahead: What Will Be fischertechnik's Answer?

Für Microcontroller und sonstige "echte" Technik-Themen, die sonst nichts mit ft zu tun haben
Everything technical that has nothing to do with ft
Forumsregeln
Bitte beachte die Forumsregeln!
Rolf B

Re: Competition Ahead: What Will Be fischertechnik's Answer?

Beitrag von Rolf B » 29 Jan 2014, 19:10

Moin,

wie schon an anderer Stelle bemerkt, wäre gerade die Abwärtskompatibilität - zumindest für den Verbraucher - wünschenswert. Immens Kohle könnte man sparen, wenn denn der TX als Extension am TXT nutzbar wäre. Würde aber glaube ich auch andersherum funktionieren, die Kids, die schon einen (2,3...) TX(e) haben könnte man (oder deren Sponsoren) einfacher davon überzeugen den "neuen" zu kaufen wenn das vorhandene kombinierbar bleibt. Ich denke so manch einer wird sich das überlegen das "alte" System über den Haufen zu werfen um ganz von vorne wieder anzufangen. Die Tatsache, dass die Steckerleiste 10pol. ist scheint aber dagegen zu sprechen.
Aber für uns hier wird sich sicher einer finden, der einen Adapter zurechtfummelt.

Gruß Rolf

Defiant

Beitrag von Defiant » 30 Jan 2014, 00:06

Sollte doch dank USB Host jederzeit nachrüstbar sein.
Vielleicht eröffnet ft uns ja die Möglichkeit am OS daran rumzubasteln. Die Lizenz verpflichtet ja zumindest dazu die Kernel-Quellen öffentlich zugänglich zu machen.
"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves."
E Hoffer

Ad2

Beitrag von Ad2 » 30 Jan 2014, 11:02

Tja, compatibility. I wonder how many people will connect the TXT to the old Extension Module, and what will happen then. Notwithstanding the surprising connector, the TXT could still be compatible with the TX over USB or Bluetooth. For normal connections with the TX in online mode I see no technical difficulties, whether ft offers this is another matter but with time this will be available. The messaging between TX and TXT is another matter, this may require a firmware upgrade of the TX, we will know once we get the first TXTs. Again, will ft maintain support for the TX? AFAIK no firmware upgrades for the RI were released after the introduction of the TX. BTW. I'm of the opinion that ft or whoever owns the software of an interface makes this public after the interface goes out of production. Ft goes open source, Defiant is right that they must publish the kernel source, if they don't what will we do? I'm not a Linux expert but I'm not sure what knowledge about the kernel will bring us, will we know the I/O map for instance? I hope they will lay open a bit more than just the kernel so we can actually extend the system. I would hate to end up in the same situation as with the TX were ft fails to launch the camera but also prevents us from developing a camera ourselves by keeping everything secret. BTW, I still feel cheated that a bought the TX (even 3), expecting that all kinds of useful extensionsion would be launched, not only the camera but also for I2C. Now we are at the end of life of the TX and we finally have support for I2C but no ft hardware to connect to. Way over half the life-cycle BT was finally kind of working and the camera has never seen the light of day. I sincerely hope that ft has learned its lessons. Like you I'm quite enthousiastic about the TXT and I will certainly buy it, I just hope I won't be just as disappointed as I was with the TX.
My tips for ft:
- Make the system as open as possible (hard- and software), involve the community.
- Besides RoboPro, support a good (preferably cloud based) IDE so people can share their programs, use Arduino and MBED as examples.
- Launch ft hardware, every year with the 'Neuheiten' a new sensor or actuator, people will keep interest and maybe even buy the TXT because they need the sensor/actuator.
- Guarantee backward compatibility, I already have a stack of 11 interfaces costing on average more than €100 each that I would hate to see become obsolete.
- Programming, robotics, image processing are complex subjects, provide a path from the 'as on the box model builder' to the 'build from scratch expert'.
- Don't disappoint your users, when we asked for the TX sources, we only got answers like "schauen mer mal" or "wir überlegen es uns" and then ... nothing. Don't do that!

GROSS+klein

Beitrag von GROSS+klein » 31 Jan 2014, 14:15

So denken doch aus die meisten -mich eingeschlossen- hier!

Ich bin da völlig neutral, ich finde halt einige Dinge bei ft besser, einige Dinge bei Lego.
Was ich aber halt absolut unvergleichlich finde, ist der gute "alte" ft-Grundbaustein. Einfach genial das Teil...

Diese Community ist halt viel kleiner, evtl. kommt die Empfindlichkeit auch daher :-)

Aber... Konkurenz belebt das Geschäft - also haben wir alle was davon!
Liebe Grüße
Thomas

lemkajen

Beitrag von lemkajen » 15 Feb 2014, 20:48

locker bleiben ... ;-)
mich stört vor Allen Dingen irgendwie der Preis...
----
Jens Lemkamp

lemkajen

Beitrag von lemkajen » 15 Feb 2014, 20:53

H.A.R.R.Y. hat geschrieben:
Aber merkt außer mir auch noch jemand was heute für ein Aufriß gemacht wird / werden muß (Linux, ARM, usw.) nur um mal eben ein paar Motoren und Sensoren unter Kontrolle zu bekommen? Das kann es doch wirklich nicht sein.

H.A.R.R.Y.
Na ja, der Eine möchte halt mit geringstem Aufwand nur Motoren und Taster anwerfen und abfragen, der Andere halt das komplette Programm mit Kamera, WiFi, I2C - d.h.
1x "back to the roots"
und
1x "Vollgas"

Beides läßt sich in EINEM Produkt nun mal eben nicht gut vereinen.
Oder sehe ich das verkehrt?
----
Jens Lemkamp

Defiant

Beitrag von Defiant » 19 Feb 2014, 17:44

Und ich dachte schon bei Robotik gehts um Steuern und Regeln.
"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves."
E Hoffer

Defiant

Beitrag von Defiant » 19 Feb 2014, 19:11

Also ich laste dir so nen kleinen ARM auch schnell ohne KI, durch ne Regelung mit Monte Carlo Methoden z.B.

Was für Roboter mit KI gibts denn?
E Hoffer

lemkajen

Beitrag von lemkajen » 21 Mär 2014, 17:32

was man auch nicht aus den Augen verlieren darf - es gibt auch "normale" Anwender (kinder / jugendliche) für "Die" muss es auch noch handlebar und verständlich sein und bleiben, zumindest für den Einstieg - sonst stehen wir alten Säcke urgendwann allein auf weiter Flur.. ;-)
----
Jens Lemkamp

sven

Beitrag von sven » 22 Mär 2014, 06:41

Hallo!

Eine einfache Schriftbasierte Sprache wäre Basic.
Hier sei z.B. das Basic von thkais erwähnt.

Gruß
Sven
Dieses Posting gibt ganz allein meine persönliche Meinung wieder!

vleeuwen

Beitrag von vleeuwen » 27 Mär 2014, 21:37

C# and Java are from a complete different order than C++.
C++, in case that you are using the real OOP part, difference a lot from C.
However a lot of people are using C++ like it is C, this indicates also the dark side of C++.

C# support not only OOP but also partial functional programming (lambda expression) and declarative programming.
But F# could be more interesting for educational use.

Learning programming is not the same as learning coding.
It has more to do with learning problem description and decomposition and this in for example: object, work flow, message flow, functional, or declarative oriented way.

The OS is not important.
Embedded programming knows its proper problems but is not so suitable for general education for children between 10 and 16.
This because all the technical details and the problem of the projection of the language on the hardware.

At the other hand RoboPro is for that group very suitable, work flow oriented with inter process synchronization.
A concept that can be explain to a broad audience.

Mono is not a programming language but an implementation on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime (.NET framework).
http://www.mono-project.com/Start .

steffalk
ft:pedia-Herausgeber

Beitrag von steffalk » 28 Mär 2014, 13:33

Tach auch!
C ist eine moderne Standard-Programmiersprache
C ist eine Programmiersprache. Wegen mir auch Standard, weil es irgendwie überall gemacht wird. Nichts, aber auch wirklich gar nichts daran ist aber "modern". C und seine "grundlegende Syntax" sind die Grundlage für unzählbar viele schwer zu findende Bugs, Sicherheitslöcher und andere Probleme, die nicht vom Compiler, sondern frühestens mit Heftpflaster-drüberkleben-Tools wie LINT, vielfach aber erst beim Produktionseinsatz im laufenden Betrieb zu Tage treten. Absolut unmodern und schon ewig lange überreif für die Mottenkiste der IT imho. Daran ändert auch nichts, dass es weit verbreitet ist. Sorry, ich kann so ein Statement nicht einfach stehen lassen, gerade weil es so gerne und so oft behauptet wird.

Jetzt wieder zurück zum Thema, sorry für's OT-Abschweifen.

Gruß,
Stefan

thkais

Beitrag von thkais » 30 Mär 2014, 15:17

Moin,

ich bin ja nicht immer mit Stefan einer Meinung, aber in diesem Punkt schon. C ist ein uraltes Relikt, das zufällig oft genutzt wird, und mit C++ wurde dann versucht, die modernen Ansätze von OOP aufzupfropfen. Nicht immer ist das am weitesten verbreitete System das Beste - siehe z.B. VHS.
Die immer wieder gerühmte Geschwindigkeit von C ist nicht C an und für sich anzurechnen, sondern den Compilern. Und die übersetzen auch andere Sprachen genauso schnell - auch z.B. Basic. Und, glaube mir: Pointer machen C-Programme nicht schneller, sondern sorgen nur für schwer auffindbare Fehlerquellen.
Kernighan & Ritchie als Referenz zu erwähnen und dann bei Basic von "in die Jahre gekommen" zu sprechen - da sag ich jetzt nichts dazu. Vielleicht hilft die Information, dass die beiden Herren C in den 70ern erfunden haben und seitdem hat sich an C eigentlich nicht mehr viel verbessert. Die Standards C99 und C11 sind nur Heftpflaster.

Wie gut C für Anfänger geeignet ist, hast du Eindrucksvoll im Thread über Fließkomma-Operationen (http://forum.ftcommunity.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2352) bewiesen - Dein Stück "Lieblingscode" ist wirklich gut als Negativbeispiel brauchbar, da ist so ziemlich alles falsch gemacht, was geht (by the way: Hatte der TO nach einem Programmbeispiel in C gefragt? Es ging da um RoboPro!).

So langsam macht es keinen Spaß mehr, dass (gefühlt) jeder zweite Thread gekapert wird um (unbelegte) Thesen über die Nützlichkeit von C als Anfängersprache zu verbreiten. Ganz abgesehen von der unwahren Behauptung, bislang wäre kein fischertechnik-Interface in C programmierbar.

Ich bin mir ja zu 100% sicher, dass dieses Statement nicht unbeantwortet bleibt - aber überlege dir mal die Nutzlosigkeit dieser Diskussion. Mit Linux als OS ist es müßig über Programmiersprachen nachzudenken - es ist alles bereits vorhanden. Ich stimme übrigens für Python.

Und damit bin ich aus dieser unnützen Diskussion raus.
Gruß
Thomas

vleeuwen

Beitrag von vleeuwen » 30 Mär 2014, 22:56

I like the discussion about the "best programming language".
There does not exist "a best programming language".
There exist only a good language that fits in well to the faze of the project and the perspective of the user at that level.

C is a low level language, very close to assembler.
C is not the most abstract programming language that can be helpful to describe the essence of a problem.

With embedded programming, all the higher order programming languages will be compiled into assembles (machine code).
Directly or with the help of intermediate languages.

When speed counts the best language is the machine code.
A higher level program (C, C++, RoboPro, work flow, messages flow, etc.) will always know a kind of overhead.
The quality of a embedded compiler is responsible for the automatic optimization of the result code.
However embedded compilers with good optimization and high quality supporting libraries are expensive.

In the stage of problem analyzing and problem decomposition (1st POC= proof of concept, 2th proto type, pre production, production) :
The choose of language or methodology will depends more on the customer and the nature of a problem.
From a certain point of view (perspective) C++ or even C#, VPL, RoboPro etc. makes it possible to stay very near the essence of the problem and this without the distraction of low level problems .
With the direct use of C or assembler the change it much higher that you drift away from the main problem.

Messages flow oriented (very high level) description of a robotic problem can be very helpful for better understanding of the problem.
But it is less suitable for a high speed production version.

In a later faze of the project when the (real time, speed) details are getting more and more important and the solution of the problem is already well describe, it can happen that parts of the solution will rewritten by hand in a lower language like C or assembler.

I don't think that fischertechnik is "Competion behind" with RoboPro.
Good embedded programming is not the real target group for this kind of controllers.

vleeuwen

Beitrag von vleeuwen » 05 Apr 2014, 08:51

C is in computer science not an example of a high level language.
That C gives the software engineer a lot not controlable options like pointers, makes C also very vulnerable for unwanted side effects.
Programming without a good mechanisme of strong type checking does not have the name to be high level programming language.
This is not my oppion but a more general classification of "C" in the liturature.
Zuletzt geändert von vleeuwen am 05 Apr 2014, 11:26, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Masked

Beitrag von Masked » 05 Apr 2014, 10:16

Hallo,

ich bitte Euch, die Diskussion über C jetzt einzustellen. Diese Programmiersprachen-Debatten haben noch nie und werden auch nie zu einem sinnvollen Ziel führen.
Falls es noch Beiträge zum eigentlichen Thema geben sollte, können die gerne gebracht werden.

Please finish the discussions about programming languages. These discussions have never achieved an objective and will never do so in the future.
If there are any Postings corresponding the primary topic, they are welcome.

Grüße,
Martin

vleeuwen

Beitrag von vleeuwen » 05 Apr 2014, 17:20

I am aiming to the main target group of fischertechnik children (10 to 15 years and older) and not the hobyists and (semi-) professionals.
Didactics is for me the main subject and not the discussion about programming languages.

The questions was, if C is from the perspectif of didactics for children (10 to 15 years and older) a good and well-considered programming concept for developing programs for robotics.
And is fischertechnik in the competions behind with Robopro?

My conclusion was that Robopro and VPL are from the perspectif of didactics for children a good and modern concept and fischertechnik is rather ahead than behind in that competition.
RoboPro makes the concept of workflow and inter-proces communication for the target group very understandable and accessable.

In case than the learning objectif is robotics, assembler, C, etc. is from the perspectif of didactics for children terrible to work with and less suitable.

Antworten